Sick/injured animals

Brecknock Wildlife Trust does not have the facilities, knowledge or experience to deal with injured and sick animals. Here are some emergency contact detail for organisations that may be able to help.

I’ve found an injured (wild) animal. What do I do?

Do not handle an injured animal as some wildlife can be very dangerous; call one of the numbers in this section and GET ADVICE FIRST. You can call the RSPCA on 0300 1234999 for advice.

Not all animals will be injured; some may appear abandoned or lost but many young animals will not have been abandoned by their parents. They will be having a happy little explore while their parents are out foraging. By interfering (unless there is an immediate danger) you may discourage the parents from returning or continuing to look after their young, so wherever possible, leave them be. If you are convinced that the parents have abandoned the young, try and observe them from a distance for at least 24 hours before calling a rescue centre. Chances are you’ll see a happy reunion; if not seek further advice from the RSPCA on 0300 1234999 or one of the other contacts below.


All Suspected Wildlife Crime

If you come across any incident which you believe involves the persecution of wildlife or the habitat in which they live please either telephone 101 (or 999 if a crime is in progress), contact your local police station or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111



Suspected water pollution, fish poaching or illegal waste dumping

Contact Natural Resources Wales: 0800 807060

NRW Website



Suspected Poisoning: Poisons Hotline 0800 321600

Injured birds: RSPCA 0300 1234 999 website

Gower Bird Hospital



Damage to bats or roosts: please contact your local police station or Natural Resorces Wales Tel: 0800 80 70 60. Bat Conservation Trust bat crime webpages

Need help with a bat: The Bat Conservation Trust Helpline: 0845 1300 228 



Injured badger: RSPCA 0300 1234 999 website

Gwent Badger Group


Other advice


Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital: 24hr emergency helpline 01844 292292

Orphaned animals

BBC - Who do you call

British Wildlife Rehabilitation Council